Saturday, August 6, 2011

Dress A Girl Around the World {Sewing for Charity}


A few months ago, I guess I had a lot of time on my hands, because I started researching organizations that accept sewing for charity. I was in the middle of a peasant-girl-dress-phase for Kiki, so the Dress A Girl Around the World charity really jumped out at me.

Dress a Girl Around the World is run by Hope 4 Women International and delivers homemade dresses to needy girls all over the world. All you do is sew them and mail them in! Doesn't every girl deserve a lovely dress?

Their website provides instructions for a basic pillowcase dress, but since I love my peasant dress pattern, that's what I made (oh, yeah, and I've never made a pillowcase dress). I thought this pattern would work well for many sizes since it uses elastic thread to make the middle and sleeves all stretchy.

Anyway, if you sew, I hope you'll check out this organization. Hopefully I can get on the ball and make more dresses!

I'll be linking up here.

8 comments:

  1. That is awesome! I love the dress too--very cute! I'll have to check out the group; with my sewing skills I guess I could send a pillowcase dress =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great cause!! Super cute too!! Great fabric selection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely idea and gorgeous dress. You have inspired me to dress a girl around the world. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing way to use your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a wonderful thing to do! I love the dress and the colors you used. I love to make Pillowcase dresses, they are so easy! I might just have to bust out some dresses from my ever growing stash of fabric! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful dress! I've worked with "Little Dresses for Africa" before and it feels great to sew for a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute dress and a wonderful cause! Our church sent dresses to some girls in an Haiti orphanage last year. I wanted to help, but since only have boys I have no idea how to make a dress:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I'm stopping in because a) you're an exceptional sewer and b) you seem to have a good heart. Right now in Africa girls miss 9 weeks of school a year on the average because of menstruation. They need cloth pads. Here's a list of Web sites that explain how to make them and a list of organizations that donate them. http://tinyurl.com/3tlhdcc
    Thanks! Carrie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...